Regulatory and Compliance
We ensure that our clients are compliant with all federal and multi-state healthcare laws and regulations, including Medicare/Medicaid, HIPAA, the CURES Act, Stark Law, the Anti-Kickback Statute and the False Claims Act, among others. We also represent clients in investigations, audits and litigation or disputes arising from regulatory and compliance issues.
Additionally, we prepare and present emergency medical petitions for court approval, provide advice to hospital administration and staff members concerning HIPAA/CURES Act compliance, DNR orders, AIDS testing, guardianship and similar legal and medical issues.
- Represented national hospice provider in multiple post-payment audits and overpayment disputes with a state’s Medicaid Agency
- Represented a relator in a False Claims Act litigation against a laboratory regarding Medicare and Medicaid fraud
- Conducted internal investigation and represented HCA in defense of healthcare fraud and kickback claims brought by the government and certain qui tam plaintiffs across the country (United States Department of Justice v. HCA (1999-2003)
- Represented a national clinical laboratory in response to a grand jury investigation related to Stark and Anti-Kickback violations, as well as in related disclosures to relevant governmental agencies and payers
- Advised a physician-hospital organization in regard to self-disclosures to relevant governmental entities related to Stark violations
- Advised healthcare entities in regard to corporate and management structures that are permissible under various state-specific corporate practice of medicine laws
- Represented numerous healthcare entities in payment and reimbursement disputes
- Successfully quashed several subpoenas served on a hospital seeking information related to a National Institutes of Health clinical study performed over 10 years ago