- The majority of our representation has been on behalf of self-insured and self-directed companies.
- Because of our experience, our clients do not pay "learning curve" costs, and enjoy the benefit of our nationwide network of trial-tested experts.
- We are experienced in litigation prevention strategies that help our clients avoid litigation whenever possible.
- August 19, 2021
- Ethics/Professional DevelopmentJuly 17, 2019
Cases & Deals
White and Williams has been at the forefront of defending product manufacturers since the inception of products liability law 100 years ago. Our vast institutional knowledge, skill and experience have provided optimal results for regional and national manufacturers in state and federal courts throughout the country. Whether we are retained directly by the manufacturer/designer or in collaboration with their insurance carriers, we understand that products liability cases are high-stakes litigation that strike at the heart of your company. The product we are defending is often the reason the company exists. We learn the product from concept to consumer - how it was conceived, designed, manufactured, made safe and enables Americans to live and work better every day. This is your lifeblood and we treat it that way.
We do all of this in a cost-effective, efficient manner. We work early on and closely with your management, in-house counsel and insurance representatives to design and implement a litigation strategy that meets your goals with as little disruption as possible to your company’s bottom line. We understand your company does not exist to litigate, but rather to design, manufacture and sell products. We employ our vast nationwide network of trial-tested experts and call upon our deep bench of experience to avoid “learning curve” costs. And, whenever possible, we provide litigation prevention strategies to help you avoid lawsuits altogether.
Manufacturer liability is rapidly evolving with the traditional defect and warning claims frequently being supplemented with fraud, misrepresentation, spoliation and punitive damage claims in an attempt to shift the focus away from your product. We have experience handling the unique issues presented by product recalls and understanding how these issues impact litigation. Our team has been and will continue to remain ahead of the curve in these new battlegrounds. We have extensive, successful experience defending these sensational claims within traditional and mass tort litigation throughout the country and returning the focus back to the product where it rightfully belongs. We help create the cutting edge in products liability by taking leadership roles in organizations such as the Product Liability Advisory Council and Defense Research Institute. We also endeavor to partner with you in associations of manufacturers, designers and engineers throughout the country.
We take pride in the fact that we have provided these services for the start-ups to the global manufacturers. Our long history includes representing national and international manufacturers of motor vehicles, chemicals, heavy construction equipment (cranes, backhoes, drilling rigs), industrial machinery (balers, compactors, presses), pharmaceutical and medical devices, aircraft component parts, complex electronic equipment, construction materials (asbestos, drywall, windows), power tools, outdoor power equipment, home appliances (fryers, toasters), and sporting goods equipment (baseball bats).
- Represented international sporting goods manufacturer defending a youth baseball aluminum bat which allegedly permitted dangerous batted ball speeds. Plaintiff was a 12-year-old male pitcher hit in the chest with a batted ball causing commotio cordis (extremely rare condition whereby heart stops) and subsequent catastrophic brain injury. Settled on the eve of trial after dismissal of all fraud and misrepresentation claims, mediation and mock trial. Superior Court of New Jersey, Passaic County.
- Represented international furniture retailer/manufacturer defending bedroom chest which toppled onto 3-year-old female causing her death. Settled at mediation. Pennsylvania Court of Common Pleas, Philadelphia County.
- Represented international clothing manufacturer defending flammable fabrics claim involving a severely burned 7-year-old boy. Obtained summary judgment on behalf of our client; remaining defendants, including another clothing manufacturer, settled on the eve of trial. Pennsylvania Court of Common Pleas, Philadelphia County.
- Represented national manufacturer of residential and commercial water heaters defending claims of catastrophic property damages. Resolved for nominal amount during the pendency of dispositive motions seeking dismissal of the products liability claim. Superior Court of New Jersey, Cape May County.
- Represented international automobile company in multiple cases involving alleged defective design resulting in vehicle rollovers causing numerous fatalities in a foreign country. Cases settled at mediation following significant motion practice in both the trial court and the Supreme Court of Delaware.
- Represented manufacturer defending handgun discharged by 15-year-old male at 8-year-old plaintiff resulting in significant head and brain injuries. Settled on eve of trial. Pennsylvania Court of Common Pleas, Philadelphia County.
- Represented international manufacturer of industrial refrigeration systems defending equipment which allegedly discharged refrigerant and damaged millions of dollars of inventory of stored product. Favorable jury trial verdict and appeal. Pennsylvania Court of Common Pleas, Philadelphia County.
- Represented manufacturer defending cherry picker which allegedly caused electrocution of plaintiff electrician and permanent neurological disabilities. Retained during expert discovery as lead counsel. Settled at mediation. Pennsylvania Court of Common Pleas, Allegheny County.
- Represented manufacturer defending industrial packaging materials which allegedly ruptured causing a 29-year-old female forklift operator to sustain spinal crush injuries rendering her wheelchair-bound. Settled during trial. Pennsylvania Court of Common Pleas, Westmoreland County.
- Represented national manufacturer defending underground propane tank which allegedly leaked causing a home to explode, killing a 32-year-old father of two. Settled during trial. Pennsylvania Court of Common Pleas, Philadelphia County.
- Represented national manufacturer defending baler which was allegedly defectively designed permitting a worker to bypass safety mechanisms which led to catastrophic crush injuries and death. Settled for nominal amount early in discovery. U.S. District Court for Eastern District of New York.
- Represented manufacturer of bottle labeling machine operating in Philadelphia brewery. Defense verdict. U.S. District Court. for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania.
- Obtained dismissal of over 35 lawsuits on behalf of international manufacturer in toxic tort matters involving environmental exposure to asbestos containing products. Superior Court of Delaware, New Castle County.
- August 19, 2021
- November 5, 2020
- November 5, 2020
- August 20, 2020
- April 29, 2020
- November 5, 2019
- November 1, 2019
- November 1, 2019
- October 17, 2019
- August 15, 2019
- January 2, 2019
- November 1, 2018
- October 23, 2018
- October 18, 2018
- August 15, 2018
- November 1, 2017
- August 15, 2017
- November 1, 2016
- August 15, 2016
- White and Williams Announces the Election of Five Lawyers to the Partnership and the Promotion of Five Associates to CounselJanuary 14, 2016
- October 8, 2015
- August 17, 2015
- January 14, 2014
- Ethics/Professional DevelopmentPerrin Conferences Mid-Atlantic Asbestos Litigation Conference (Wilmington, DE)July 17, 2019
- Medicare Compliance in Asbestos LitigationPerrin Conferences Mid-Atlantic Asbestos Litigation Conference (Wilmington, DE)July 17, 2019
- Update on Jurisdictional IssuesThe Mid-Atlantic Asbestos Litigation Conference (Wilmington, DE)June 15, 2017
- The Importance of ADRThe Mid-Atlantic Asbestos Litigation Conference (Wilmington, DE)June 15, 2017
- Differing Approaches to Products Liability: A Cross-Jurisdictional AnalysisWhite and Williams Lunch-and-LearnMarch 28, 2017
- Trial and Appellate Court Applications of the Tincher PrescriptionsPhiladelphia Association of Defense CounselDecember 15, 2016
- Status of the Litigation and Recent Decisions - Filings, Trends, Projections & Pending Legislation in DE, MD and PA and Federal CourtsMid-Atlantic Asbestos Litigation Conference (Wilmington, DE)January 24, 2014
- Medical Device Update: Third Circuit Certifies Questions Concerning Device Manufacturers’ Liability Under Pennsylvania LawJuly 16, 2021Litigation Alert
- June 25, 2021Bloomberg Law
- June 3, 2021Apex Ridge Reliability
- May 19, 2021Apex Ridge Reliability
- May 18, 2021Product Liability Alert
- May 11, 2021Apex Ridge Reliability
- Volume 4, No. 4 | July – August 2021The Journal of Robotics, Artificial Intelligence & Law
- March 17, 2021The Legal Intelligencer
- Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court Strikes a Deathblow to Substantial Factor Causation in Most Cases; Is Asbestos Litigation Next?March 9, 2021Product Liability Alert
- February 1, 2021Product Liability Alert
- November 17, 2020Product Liability Alert
- April 13, 2020Industry Today
- April 3, 2020Commercial Litigation Alert
- White and Williams LLP Secures Affirmation of Denial to Change Trial Settings Based on Plaintiffs’ Failure to Meet the Texas Causation Standard for Asbestos CasesApril 1, 2020Product Liability Alert
- Unfair Shares: PA Supreme Court Mandates Per Capita Allocation Among Liable Product Defendants and Settled PartiesFebruary 25, 2020Product Liability Alert
- The Last One Standing Stands Tall: NJ Asbestos Trial Defendants Can Use Settled Defendants’ Testimony to Prove Cross-ClaimsJanuary 14, 2020Product Liability Alert
- January 14, 2020Product Liability Alert
- US Supreme Court Denies Certiorari in Appeal by Gun Manufacturer, Remington, in Case Brought by Families of Sandy Hook Massacre VictimsNovember 13, 2019Product Liability Alert
- New Jersey Jury Unanimously Finds Johnson & Johnson Not Liable in Latest Talcum Powder-Based Mesothelioma LitigationMarch 29, 2019Toxic Torts and Environmental Alert
- March 1, 2019Product Liability Alert
- PA Supreme Court Declines to Consider Constitutional Challenge to Statutory Damages Cap Applicable to Commonwealth AgenciesOctober 25, 2018Litigation Alert
- PA Supreme Court Dramatically Changes Scope of Qualified Immunity for Government Entities for Torts Related to “Operation of a Motor Vehicle”September 6, 2018Litigation Alert
- August 20, 2018Litigation Alert
- $37 Million Verdict in Talc Mesothelioma Lawsuit Underscores Potential Exposure for Talc Manufacturers and RetailersApril 9, 2018Product Liability Alert
- Social Media in Litigation: The Increasing Impact and Evolving Standards for Discoverability and AdmissibilityMarch 28, 2018Litigation Alert
- Superior Court of Pennsylvania Rejects Pre-Tincher Product Liability Jury Instruction and Grants Tincher Defendant a New TrialMarch 12, 2018Product Liability Alert
- Superior Court of Pennsylvania Reverses Tincher and Rules that Azzarello Jury Instructions Fail to Conform to Applicable LawFebruary 21, 2018Product Liability Alert
- January 9, 2018Litigation Alert
- October 5, 2017Product Liability Alert
- April 25, 2017Product Liability Alert
- Delaware Strengthens Jurisdictional Defenses for Foreign Corporations Registered to Do Business in DelawareApril 26, 2016Product Liability Alert
- Delaware Supreme Court Affirms Huge Loophole in Collateral Source Rule, Leading to Drastic Reduction in Tort DamagesJune 26, 2015Healthcare Alert
- November 6, 2014Toxic Torts and Environmental Alert
- Dismissal of Delaware Asbestos Lawsuit Based Upon Florida’s Asbestos and Silica Compensation Fairness ActAugust 6, 2013Product Liability & Toxic Tort Alert
- April 18, 2013Product Liability Alert
Cases & Deals
- White and Williams Secures Affirmation of Summary Judgment Based on Ohio’s Causation Standard For Asbestos CasesJuly 22, 2019
- December 8, 2017
- December 5, 2017
- April 21, 2017
- April 13, 2017