- The majority of our representation has been on behalf of self-insured and self-directed companies.
- Because of our experience, our clients do not pay "learning curve" costs, and enjoy the benefit of our nationwide network of trial-tested experts.
- We are experienced in litigation prevention strategies that help our clients avoid litigation whenever possible.
- Update on Jurisdictional IssuesJune 15, 2017
- January 9, 2018Litigation Alert
Cases & Deals
White and Williams has been at the forefront of defending product manufacturers since the inception of products liability law 100 years ago. Our vast institutional knowledge, skill and experience have provided optimal results for regional and national manufacturers in state and federal courts throughout the country. Whether we are retained directly by the manufacturer/designer or in collaboration with their insurance carriers, we understand that products liability cases are high-stakes litigation that strike at the heart of your company. The product we are defending is often the reason the company exists. We learn the product from concept to consumer - how it was conceived, designed, manufactured, made safe and enables Americans to live and work better every day. This is your lifeblood and we treat it that way.
We do all of this in a cost-effective, efficient manner. We work early on and closely with your management, in-house counsel and insurance representatives to design and implement a litigation strategy that meets your goals with as little disruption as possible to your company’s bottom line. We understand your company does not exist to litigate, but rather to design, manufacture and sell products. We employ our vast nationwide network of trial-tested experts and call upon our deep bench of experience to avoid “learning curve” costs. And, whenever possible, we provide litigation prevention strategies to help you avoid lawsuits altogether.
Manufacturer liability is rapidly evolving with the traditional defect and warning claims frequently being supplemented with fraud, misrepresentation, spoliation and punitive damage claims in an attempt to shift the focus away from your product. Our team has been and will continue to remain ahead of the curve in these new battlegrounds. We have extensive, successful experience defending these sensational claims within traditional and mass tort litigation throughout the country and returning the focus back to the product where it rightfully belongs. We help create the cutting edge in products liability by taking leadership roles in organizations such as the Product Liability Advisory Council and Defense Research Institute. We also endeavor to partner with you in associations of manufacturers, designers and engineers throughout the country.
We take pride in the fact that we have provided these services for the start-ups to the global manufacturers. Our long history includes representing national and international manufacturers of motor vehicles, chemicals, heavy construction equipment (cranes, backhoes, drilling rigs), industrial machinery (balers, compactors, presses), pharmaceutical and medical devices, aircraft component parts, complex electronic equipment, construction materials (asbestos, drywall, windows), power tools, outdoor power equipment, home appliances (fryers, toasters), and sporting goods equipment (baseball bats).
- Represented international sporting goods manufacturer defending a youth baseball aluminum bat which allegedly permitted dangerous batted ball speeds. Plaintiff was a 12-year-old male pitcher hit in the chest with a batted ball causing commotio cordis (extremely rare condition whereby heart stops) and subsequent catastrophic brain injury. Settled on the eve of trial after dismissal of all fraud and misrepresentation claims, mediation and mock trial. Superior Court of New Jersey, Passaic County.
- Represented international furniture retailer/manufacturer defending bedroom chest which toppled onto 3-year-old female causing her death. Settled at mediation. Pennsylvania Court of Common Pleas, Philadelphia County.
- Represented international clothing manufacturer defending flammable fabrics claim involving a severely burned 7-year-old boy. Obtained summary judgment on behalf of our client; remaining defendants, including another clothing manufacturer, settled on the eve of trial. Pennsylvania Court of Common Pleas, Philadelphia County.
- Represented national manufacturer of residential and commercial water heaters defending claims of catastrophic property damages. Resolved for nominal amount during the pendency of dispositive motions seeking dismissal of the products liability claim. Superior Court of New Jersey, Cape May County.
- Represented international automobile company in multiple cases involving alleged defective design resulting in vehicle rollovers causing numerous fatalities in a foreign country. Cases settled at mediation following significant motion practice in both the trial court and the Supreme Court of Delaware.
- Represented manufacturer defending handgun discharged by 15-year-old male at 8-year-old plaintiff resulting in significant head and brain injuries. Settled on eve of trial. Pennsylvania Court of Common Pleas, Philadelphia County.
- Represented international manufacturer of industrial refrigeration systems defending equipment which allegedly discharged refrigerant and damaged millions of dollars of inventory of stored product. Favorable jury trial verdict and appeal. Pennsylvania Court of Common Pleas, Philadelphia County.
- Represented manufacturer defending cherry picker which allegedly caused electrocution of plaintiff electrician and permanent neurological disabilities. Retained during expert discovery as lead counsel. Settled at mediation. Pennsylvania Court of Common Pleas, Allegheny County.
- Represented manufacturer defending industrial packaging materials which allegedly ruptured causing a 29-year-old female forklift operator to sustain spinal crush injuries rendering her wheelchair-bound. Settled during trial. Pennsylvania Court of Common Pleas, Westmoreland County.
- Represented national manufacturer defending underground propane tank which allegedly leaked causing a home to explode, killing a 32-year-old father of two. Settled during trial. Pennsylvania Court of Common Pleas, Philadelphia County.
- Represented national manufacturer defending baler which was allegedly defectively designed permitting a worker to bypass safety mechanisms which led to catastrophic crush injuries and death. Settled for nominal amount early in discovery. U.S. District Court for Eastern District of New York.
- Represented manufacturer of bottle labeling machine operating in Philadelphia brewery. Defense verdict. U.S. District Court. for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania.
- Obtained dismissal of over 35 lawsuits on behalf of international manufacturer in toxic tort matters involving environmental exposure to asbestos containing products. Superior Court of Delaware, New Castle County.
- November 1, 2017
- 11th Annual Coverage College Features Discussion on ALI’s Restatement of the Law, Liability InsuranceOctober 30, 2017
- August 15, 2017
- November 1, 2016
- August 15, 2016
- June 7, 2016
- White and Williams Announces the Election of Five Lawyers to the Partnership and the Promotion of Five Associates to CounselJanuary 14, 2016
- October 8, 2015
- August 17, 2015
- January 14, 2014
- Update on Jurisdictional IssuesThe Mid-Atlantic Asbestos Litigation Conference (Wilmington, DE)June 15, 2017
- The Importance of ADRThe Mid-Atlantic Asbestos Litigation Conference (Wilmington, DE)June 15, 2017
- Differing Approaches to Products Liability: A Cross-Jurisdictional AnalysisWhite and Williams Lunch-and-LearnMarch 28, 2017
- Trial and Appellate Court Applications of the Tincher PrescriptionsPhiladelphia Association of Defense CounselDecember 15, 2016
- Status of the Litigation and Recent Decisions - Filings, Trends, Projections & Pending Legislation in DE, MD and PA and Federal CourtsMid-Atlantic Asbestos Litigation Conference (Wilmington, DE)January 24, 2014
- Corporate Relationships, Successor Liability and Insurance CoveragePhiladelphia, PAJune 2004
- Defending a Civil Law SuitThe People's Law SchoolFall 2003
- January 9, 2018Litigation Alert
- October 5, 2017Product Liability Alert
- April 25, 2017Product Liability Alert
- Delaware Strengthens Jurisdictional Defenses for Foreign Corporations Registered to Do Business in DelawareApril 26, 2016Product Liability Alert
- Delaware Supreme Court Affirms Huge Loophole in Collateral Source Rule, Leading to Drastic Reduction in Tort DamagesJune 26, 2015Healthcare Alert
- November 6, 2014Toxic Torts and Environmental Alert
- Dismissal of Delaware Asbestos Lawsuit Based Upon Florida’s Asbestos and Silica Compensation Fairness ActAugust 6, 2013Product Liability & Toxic Tort Alert
- April 18, 2013Product Liability Alert
- June 23, 2009
- March 25, 2009
- December 2, 2008
- The Pennsylvania Superior Court Authorizes Recovery for Negligent Infliction of Emotional Distress in a Strict Products Liability ActionSeptember 23, 2008
- February 12, 2007
- Product Liability UpdateSeptember 2006Counterpoint (a publication of the Pennsylvania Defense Institute)
- Product Liability UpdateJuly 1, 2005Counterpoint (a publication of the Pennsylvania Defense Institute)
- January 2005
- Product Liability UpdateJuly 2004Counterpoint (a publication of the Pennsylvania Defense Institute)
Cases & Deals
- December 8, 2017
- December 5, 2017
- April 21, 2017
- April 13, 2017