Jeff Stewart focuses his practice on labor and employment matters. He represents business, governmental and not-for-profit employers in all phases of labor and employment law matters.
Jeff defends employment actions related to workplace discrimination and harassment, wrongful termination, wage and hour disputes, and whistleblower claims. Jeff's clients appreciate his desire to get to know the unique aspects of their businesses and his ability to then apply the law to their particular circumstances. He counsels clients about non-compete agreements, sexual harassment investigations, FLSA compliance, unemployment compensation, and drafting employment policies and handbooks.
Jeff also tries cases before the National Labor Relations Board and the Pennsylvania Labor Relations Board. He handles unfair labor practice charges, unit clarification hearings, and grievance arbitration. He counsels employers in union avoidance and has helped his clients successfully defeat union representation elections. Jeff serves as lead negotiator during collective bargaining and advises his clients on all aspects of strikes, lockouts, and mass picketing. In addition to his private-sector clients, Jeff represents municipalities with respect to their labor unions.
Jeff has particular experience defending municipalities in actions related to its police force. Jeff counsels regarding Act 111 arbitrations, police tenure matters, and police pension issues and reviewing police department standard operating procedures.
Jeff has taught numerous seminars on labor and employment law in the Lehigh Valley, as well as, Labor & Employment Law courses for DeSales University and Moravian College. He is a former member of the board of directors of the Lehigh Valley Chapter of the Society of Human Resource Management and chair of its Legislative Committee.
In addition to his labor law experience, Jeff has handled church mergers, gaining experience in the area both as an attorney and as a church leader. He has guided churches through many sensitive areas, including identifying the need to merge, combining church leaderships, dealing with each congregation’s unique attachment to its history, and, finally, the coming together of the two congregations.
Recognition and Involvement
Recognition & Involvement
Jeff is actively involved in his church, serving as the president of its council multiple times and as co-chair of its building committee.
He has been selected for inclusion in the Employment and Labor section of Pennsylvania Super Lawyers—Rising Stars Edition. He was honored in 2013 as one of the Forty Under 40 in Lehigh Valley Business, which recognizes young professionals who exhibit talent and promise and have a well-documented track record of achievements in business.
Bar and Court Admissions
New Jersey (inactive)
U.S. District Courtfor the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Pennsylvania
Pennsylvania State University Dickinson School of Law, JD, 2001
Syracuse University, BA, magna cum laude, 1995
News & Insights
- White and Williams Partner Nancy Conrad and Attorney Jeffrey Stewart Recognized as Two of Lehigh Valley Business’ Power List in Law12.15.22
- 8.11.22 | PLUS Webinar
- 5.20.22 | DeSales University
- 5.3.22 | The Employment Law Counselor Podcast
- 3.31.22 | The Employment Law Counselor
- 2.7.22 | The Employment Law Counselor
- 1.4.22 | The Employment Law Counselor
- COVID-19 and the Workplace: An Overview of Federal Guidance on Employer Responsibilities and Employee Rights11.22.21 | Lehigh Valley Business
- 10.29.21 | The Employment Law Counselor
- 9.7.21 | The Employment Law Counselor
- 9.1.21 | The Employment Law Counselor
- 7.2.21 | Labor and Employment Alert
- 6.4.21 | The Employment Counselor
- 5.26.21 | Webinar
- 3.22.21 | Labor and Employment Alert
- 3.10.21 | Webinar
- Green Phase or Next Phase: Updated Guidance for Pennsylvania Employers and Employees Returning to the Workplace7.15.20 | Webinar
- 6.11.20 | Webinar
- 5.20.20 | Webinar | Northampton County Bar Association
- 3.24.20 | Webinar
- 3.23.20 | Commercial Litigation Alert
- 3.20 | PBI Webinar
- 3.10.20 | Bar Association of Lehigh County (Allentown, PA)
- 12.6.19 | Labor and Employment Alert
- 11.20.19 | Bux-Mont Human Resources Association
- 11.12.19 | Construction Financial Management Association's Greater Berks-Lehigh Valley Chapter (Breinigsville, PA)
- 10.21.19 | Lehigh Valley SHRM October Conference (Bethlehem, PA)
- 6.5.19 | National Museum of Industrial History (Bethlehem, PA)
- 6.13.18 | National Museum of Industrial History (Bethlehem, PA)
American Bar Association
Pennsylvania Bar Association
Bar Association of Lehigh County
Society of Human Resource Management, Lehigh Valley Chapter
BLOGS & PODCASTS
- How Insurers and Panel Counsel Work Together11.30.23
In the newest episode of The Employment Law Counselor collaboration with Professional Liability Underwriting Society, Jeff Stewart interviews Mitch Terk, Vice President of Claims for Nexus Specialty, to explore how insurers and panel counsel work together. They have an insightful discussion on how an insurance company selects and assigns panel counsel, building relationships, and avoiding surprises as a matter progresses through litigation.