Barbara Carra focuses her practice on cases involving CGL insurance coverage disputes related to a variety of underlying issues, including concussions, molestation and vaping. Barbara represents life, health and disability insurers, statewide and regionally, in a wide range of ERISA and non-ERISA matters, including cases stemming from the denial of long-term disability benefits, the denial of life insurance claims, the rescission of policies, beneficiary disputes, interpleader actions and insurance fraud.
Prior to joining the firm, Barbara focused her private practice on medical malpractice litigation involving death, brain-damage, obstetrical complications, medication errors, orthopedic injuries and other surgical complications. She has retained and worked with numerous preeminent experts in a variety of specialties and sub-specialties to prepare written discovery responses, develop expert disclosures and prepare medical witnesses for deposition and trial.
Additionally, Barbara has almost 15 years of experience as in-house counsel to Unum Insurance and Massachusetts Mutual Life Insurance Company where she held the position of Assistant Vice President & Counsel. In her various positions with these industry leaders, she advised business clients on litigation and regulatory risk, was a subject matter expert for product development, supervised complex national litigation, and was the head of fraud investigations and business intelligence where she oversaw a team of fraud investigators and coordinated with state and federal agencies in the prosecution of fraudulent activity. Barbara was also responsible for the development of training programs and policies in compliance with all state Departments of Insurance for claim professionals, underwriters and agents within the distribution channel.
Barbara is a frequent lecturer for the American Bar Association, the Defense Research Institute, the International Claim Association and other trade organizations on current and emerging issues in the context of disability and life insurance claims. Barbara has written numerous papers on medical/legal issues involving medical risk management and insurance best practices.
Recognition and Involvement
Recognition & Involvement
Barbara is committed to the community and provides pro bono legal services through various programs including the Hampden County District Court’s Lawyer-For-A-Day, the Massachusetts Bar Association’s Dial-A-Lawyer, the United Way’s Day of Caring and Habitat for Humanity.
Bar and Court Admissions
Western New England College School of Law, JD
Saint Michael's College, BA
News & Insights
- 6.14.22 | Webinar
- Professional Liability and Risk ManagementOperative Gynecology
- Disability Law for the Medical Professional19 | Client Presentation
- Mock Mediation17 | International Claim Association
American Bar Association
Defense Research Institute
International Claim Association
- Litigate on behalf of doctors, hospitals and other medical professionals against claims of medical negligence
- Defend life, health and disability insurers against claims of discrimination and denial of insurance benefits
- Designed and implemented comprehensive enterprise-wide anti-fraud compliance training program and manual for major life insurance company
- Directed and conducted all aspects of complex fraud investigations including detailed review and analysis of accounting, auditing, tax and compliance procedures for major life insurance company
- Managed national, state and federal civil bad faith litigation for major life, health and disability insurer