Our Transportation group focuses on the defense of entities that are part of both ground and air transportation systems. We represent national, regional, and local carriers in business, regulatory, personal injury, and property damage litigation in state and federal courts throughout the Northeast.
Our lawyers have extensive experience defending aviation and aerospace providers in a variety of matters ranging from aircraft disasters to airport premises matters.
Our team also has extensive experience handling ground transportation matters. We respond to significant accidents, insuring prompt investigation, preserving and creating key documentary evidence (logs, load records, driver inspection reports and accident scene photographs) and interviewing important witnesses. This proactive, trial-tested strategy helps set the stage for a favorable outcome.
Our lawyers have handled matters involving Department of Transportation (DOT) compliance, driver qualifications, placard liability, insurance coverage (including MCS-90 endorsements), driver fatigue and cost/recovery of lost freight. We frequently counsel trucking companies and insurers on these types of issues and have developed strategic alliances with experts in all aspects of trucking litigation.
We offer a gamut of services to transportation and trucking companies including representation in commercial contract drafting and negotiating, human resource issues, discrimination matters, government audits for highway and/or labor force taxes, and/or assessments and union issues where applicable.
Our lawyers work tirelessly to protect the interests of our carrier clients, challenging onerous regulations and the often misguided enforcement of those regulations. We have prosecuted litigation against state regulatory bodies.
- Represented nationwide trucking company in a fatal accident involving a physician; retained by excess carrier as co-counsel near the conclusion of discovery
- Represented trucking company in defense of two bodily injury claims at loading dock locations
- Represented tractor-trailer driver (and trucking employer) who rear ended passenger vehicle on I-80 in Pennsylvania
- Defended and prosecuted numerous stolen trailer and cargo matters for trucking companies in New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania and Delaware
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of a tractor-trailer driver involved in collision with passenger vehicle at a county road intersection in Elizabeth, NJ; also handled the matter on appeal before the Appellate Division
- Defended a tractor-trailer driver who went off embankment on I-81 in Syracuse into oncoming traffic and striking a minivan containing a family of three
- Defended a box truck driver making a delivery who struck an SUV in New York City
- Represented international shipping company in commercial motor vehicle accident case which rendered a 40-year-old father catastrophically brain-injured; retained as lead counsel after discovery
- Represented local construction company in motor vehicle accident case in which plaintiff was wheelchair bound; retained as lead counsel five days before trial commenced
- Represented nation's largest, farmer-owned agricultural supply cooperative in high-profile propane tanker truck accident resulting in the deaths of one adult and two minors
- Represented school board of education in fatal bus accident case involving a two-year-old pedestrian girl; retained as co-counsel at conclusion of discovery
- Represented regional trucking company in death and brain injury case involving DOT compliance and driver qualification issues
- Represented commercial trucking company in accident case in which tanker truck caused several million dollars in property damage to Interstate 95
- Represented regional trucking company in a case in which the plaintiff college student lost his leg due to a head-on accident with client’s tractor trailer; retained after discovery
- Represented regional trucking company in trucking accident in which plaintiff sustained bilateral amputation of her legs
- Represented regional trucking company in wrongful death case involving placard liability
- Had a state’s environmental regulations, that unfairly increased trucking costs for years, declared unconstitutional, resulting in millions of dollars in savings for the trucking industry