Mark Parisi is a partner in the Litigation Department and a member of the Construction and Surety Group.
Mr. Parisi has developed proficiency in moisture intrusion construction defect litigation involving exterior envelope wall and roof issues, such as stucco, veneer stone, cement board, and synthetic siding, flat and pitched roof systems and, of course, mold. He also has extensive experience in matters involving structural issues, concrete issues and sinking buildings relative to both commercial and residential construction. His thorough understanding of construction contracting issues, the mechanics of construction and project management, and construction law enables him to handle litigation involving the entire universe of construction defect and general construction claims.
Mr. Parisi has handled construction defect litigation not only regionally in Pennsylvania, New Jersey and Delaware, but also in Texas, Nevada, Colorado, California, Oregon, Washington, Iowa, Alabama, Florida, Kentucky, New York, South Carolina, Massachusetts and Illinois. His outstanding ability to negotiate and resolve cases, as well as try them, is well known and makes him particularly valuable to his clients because of that versatility.
He has handled matters for clients on every side of construction defect litigation – plaintiffs, defendants, and insurance companies. On the defense, he has been insurance company defense counsel or contractor personal counsel.
Mr. Parisi has for many years served as a paid mediator and as a Judge Pro Tem settlement master in the Philadelphia Court of Common Pleas.
Expertise in analysis of architectural and engineering plans, building codes, industry standards and manufacturer instructions.
Occasional presenter at construction defect seminars such as the West Coast Casualty Construction Defect Conference held annually in Anaheim, CA.
Recognition and Involvement
Recognition & Involvement
Mark is AV® Preeminent™ rated by the Martindale-Hubbell peer review rating system.
Bar and Court Admissions
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
U.S. Supreme Court
Temple University School of Law, JD, 1981
Amherst College, cum laude, 1978
News & Insights
- 9.6.23 | Construction and Surety Alert
- East Coast Meets West Coast – Hot Construction Defect Issues and Coverage Cases from the Other Coast5.16.18 | 2018 West Coast Casualty Construction Defect Seminar (Anaheim, CA)
- Defense counsel for eight years, retained by seven different insurance companies, to defend a leading Philadelphia area home developer in over 200 individual stucco claims involving dozens of different homeowner attorneys; in parallel litigation that we did not handle, these claims led to the leading appellate construction defect insurance coverage decision in Pennsylvania and one of the more significant coverage decisions in the country.
- Defense counsel for a developer and general contractor in litigation in Baldwin County, Alabama involving multiple construction defect claims in five high-rise condominium buildings in Gulf Shores and Orange Beach, Alabama; successfully resolved a middle eight-figure case for a fraction of the claimed damages, and secured substantial contributions from subcontractors, design professionals and manufacturers.
- Successful defense of a Lancaster County, Pennsylvania developer and general contractor and very successful resolution of one of the first EIFS construction defect cases in Pennsylvania, involving 140 single-family homes.
- Represented 90 homeowners as plaintiffs in stucco litigation against the largest privately held home builder in the Philadelphia area which declared bankruptcy after several years of litigation and then litigated the matter in Bankruptcy Court and was successful in working with insurance company counsel for multiple insurance companies that were defending the builder as well as subcontractors to orchestrate a settlement for his clients as well as 130 additional homeowners represented by other law firms, culminating in a 70 page settlement agreement that obtained Bankruptcy Court approval and distribution of substantial funds to all 220 homeowners.
- Represented one of three insurers as coverage, oversight and negotiating counsel in a recovery lawsuit brought by a national home builder against its subcontractors after the builder had remediated 917 homes in New Jersey and Pennsylvania; was the principal negotiator for all three insurance companies and successfully implemented a global settlement.
- Represented Condominium Owners Association against builder, architect, and engineer for 40-unit condominium at the beach on the southern New Jersey shore with significant structural deterioration issues; guided Association through investigation, construction remediation project and then litigation which was settled just prior to trial.
- Served as litigation consultant to major national insurance company’s local counsel in Austin, Texas for two years in defending a multiple construction defect claim involving an entire townhouse condominium neighborhood. Instrumental in resolving this multi eight-figure case with a unique blend of money from insurers of all contractors, subcontractors, design professionals and manufacturers, first-party insurers, and a private investor who bought the entire neighborhood at a discount after the insurance money was contributed; with the private investor then remediating and reselling the neighborhood.
- Consulted for New York based owner who was building an extravagant vacation home in St. Barthelemy using local and French construction companies and over $1 million of windows from Switzerland; negotiated and drafted contracts and consulted on potential water intrusion issues and insurance issues.