Today’s employers face an ever-lengthening list of legal obligations. To avoid liability and provide a workplace free of unlawful discrimination and harassment, businesses must provide employees with extensive training on a wide range of issues, from unlawful harassment, discrimination and retaliation, to workplace privacy, and wage and hour compliance.
We help our clients meet this considerable challenge by constantly monitoring federal and state legislative changes, case developments and federal and state agencies for developments that might affect employers’ training legal obligations. We regularly audit our clients’ operations, communications and employee training policies and programs with a view toward reducing risk.
We routinely counsel and advise clients in the creation and administration of affirmative action compliance plans and provide advice and consultation in matters concerning state and federal wage and hour laws, drug testing, and employee privacy and employee discipline matters. We work closely with clients to draft and enforce executive and other employment contracts, including confidentiality agreements, and covenants restricting post-employment conduct.
Our Labor and Employment Group creates and presents customized training programs for clients on topics such as: sexual harassment, discrimination and diversity training, management training, and compliance with important laws such as the FMLA and the ADA.
Our attorneys have significant experience in developing and implementing national arbitration programs that require employees to submit employment disputes to binding arbitration as an alternative to costly litigation. We also regularly assist employers covered by Executive Order 11246 with preparation and maintenance of affirmative action plans. We also respond to audits of their compliance efforts.
Our employment compliance services cover all applicable state and federal employment laws relating to matters such as: minimum wage and overtime compensation, discrimination, workplace privacy, child labor, family, medical and military leave, and more. Along with close examination of employer policies, procedures and documents, our services include fact-gathering interviews with key personnel.
- Provided employee and supervisory training to hundreds of employers related to employee hiring, conducting reviews, disciplinary actions, termination, employee complaints and anti-discrimination, anti-harassment and anti-retaliation measures
- Serve as outside general counsel for several companies nationwide providing employment counseling services on an as-needed basis for a full spectrum of labor and employment matters
- Assisted professional services firms and retailers in responding to audits of their affirmative action plans by the Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs. Efforts included assistance with annual plan updates, preparation of new model plans for all divisions and subsidiary companies, auditing of pay equity issues and creation of an “action plan” for reaching compliance goals
- Put in place a Title III program under the ADA with respect to national retailers stores throughout the United States
- On behalf of a medical institution, successfully negotiated physician separations from employment in private mediations
- Advised hundreds of employers with respect to severance and/or employment agreements
- Represented hundreds of employers in connection with reductions-in-force, including drafting and review of separation agreements