Our Transportation Group focuses on the defense of entities that are part of both ground and air transportation systems. We represent national, regional, and local carriers in business, regulatory, personal injury, and property damage litigation in state and federal courts throughout the Northeast.
Our lawyers have extensive experience defending aviation and aerospace providers in a variety of matters ranging from aircraft disasters to airport premises matters.
The group has defended aircraft disasters including:
- Defense of airport in aircraft collision involving substantial property damage
- Defense of airport in personal injury action resulting from aborted takeoff
- Defense of aviation provider in wrongful death action resulting from aircraft accident over the Hudson River
- Defense of airport in a premises claim filed by a disabled commercial passenger pilot
- Successfully subrogated substantial aircraft loss relating to the negligent discharge of fire suppressant foam in an airport hangar
The group has appeared in state and federal courts on behalf of various transportation entities, including:
- Port Authority of New York and New Jersey for Newark Liberty International Airport (NJ)
- South Jersey Transportation Authority for Atlantic City International Airport (NJ)
- Port Authority of New York and New Jersey for Stewart International Airport (NY)
- Port Authority of New York and New Jersey for Teterboro Airport (NJ)
- County of Westchester for Westchester County Airport (NY)
- Tweed-New Haven Airport Authority for Tweed New Haven Airport (CT)
- New York State for Republic Airport (NY)
- Rhode Island Airport Corporation for Quonset State Airport (RI)
- Rhode Island Airport Corporation for T.F. Green Airport (RI)
- Niagara Frontier Transportation Authority for Buffalo Niagara International Airport (NY)
- City of Syracuse of Syracuse Hancock International Airport (NY)
- Morristown Municipal Airport (NJ)
Our team also has extensive experience handling ground transportation matters. We respond to significant accidents, insuring prompt investigation, preserving and creating key documentary evidence (logs, load records, driver inspection reports and accident scene photographs) and interviewing important witnesses. This proactive, trial-tested strategy help set the stage for a favorable outcome.
We have extensive experience with issues involving Department of Transportation (DOT) compliance, driver qualifications, placard liability, insurance coverage (including MCS-90 endorsements), driver fatigue and cost/recovery of lost freight. We frequently counsel trucking companies and insurers on these types of issues and have developed strategic alliances with experts in all aspects of trucking litigation.
We offer full legal service to transportation and trucking companies including representation in commercial contract drafting and negotiating, human resource issues, discrimination matters, government audits for highway and/or labor force taxes and/or assessments and union issues where applicable.
Our lawyers work tirelessly to protect the interests of our carrier clients, challenging onerous regulations and the often misguided enforcement of those regulations. We have prosecuted litigation against state regulatory bodies.
- Represented nationwide trucking company in a fatal accident involving a physician; retained by excess carrier as co-counsel near the conclusion of discovery (Superior Court of N.J., Essex County)
- Represented trucking company in defense of two bodily injury claims at loading dock locations (Superior Court of N.J., Middlesex County and Camden County)
- Represented tractor-trailer driver (and trucking employer) who rear ended passenger vehicle on I-80 in Pennsylvania (Superior Court of N.J., Morris County)
- Defended and prosecuted numerous stolen trailer and cargo matters for trucking companies in New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania and Delaware
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of a tractor-trailer driver involved in collision with passenger vehicle at a county road intersection in Elizabeth, NJ; also handled the matter on appeal before the Appellate Division (Superior Court of N.J., Essex County)
- Defended a tractor-trailer driver who went off embankment on I-81 in Syracuse into oncoming traffic and striking a minivan containing a family of three (NY Supreme Court, Cortland County)
- Defended a box truck driver making a delivery who struck an SUV in New York City (NY Supreme Court, Bronx County)
- Represented international shipping company in commercial motor vehicle accident case which rendered a 40-year-old father catastrophically brain-injured; retained as lead counsel after discovery (Pennsylvania Court of Common Pleas, Philadelphia County)
- Represented local construction company in motor vehicle accident case in which plaintiff was wheelchair bound; retained as lead counsel five days before trial commenced (Superior Court of N.J., Bergen County)
- Represented nation's largest, farmer-owned agricultural supply cooperative in high-profile propane tanker truck accident resulting in the deaths of one adult and two minors (Superior Court of Delaware, Kent County)
- Represented school board of education in fatal bus accident case involving a two-year-old pedestrian girl; retained as co-counsel at conclusion of discovery (Superior Court of N.J., Middlesex County)
- Represented regional trucking company in death and brain injury case involving DOT compliance and driver qualification issues (Maryland Circuit Court, Howard County)
- Represented commercial trucking company in accident case in which tanker truck caused several million dollars in property damage to Interstate 95 (Pennsylvania Court of Common Pleas, Delaware County)
- Represented regional trucking company in a case in which the plaintiff college student lost his leg due to a head-on accident with client’s tractor trailer; retained after discovery (Superior Court of Delaware, Kent County)
- Represented regional trucking company in trucking accident in which plaintiff sustained bilateral amputation of her legs (Pennsylvania Court of Common Pleas, Philadelphia County)
- Represented regional trucking company in wrongful death case involving placard liability (Superior Court of N.J., Mercer County)
- Had a state’s environmental regulations, that unfairly increased trucking costs for years, declared unconstitutional, resulting in millions of dollars in savings for the trucking industry
- September 22, 2016
- October 8, 2015