Long-Term Care, Managed Care and Assisted Living
We provide advice and representation for home health agencies and have considerable experience in representing personal and continuing care communities, as well as traditional nursing homes. We are involved with Departments of Insurance, Aging and Health, and other regulatory agencies having jurisdiction over the development and operation of facilities. We assist in the development and implementation of clinical programs, regulatory compliance (State, Federal, JCAHO) and risk management, and, in general, help skilled nursing facilities, assisted living communities, home health companies, active adult communities and independent living communities manage their business, regulatory, employment and litigation needs. Our attorneys take pride in providing creative, aggressive, yet practical and cost effective defense of personal injury litigation.
- Estate of Litwin v. Emeritus Corp., No. 14-5847 (NLH/KMW), 2017 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 107696 (D.N.J. July 12, 2017); represented defendants who were granted partial summary judgment
- Frimpong v. Sunrise Senior Living, Inc., Civil Action No. 16-3917-BRM-LHG, 2016 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 146711 (D.N.J. Oct. 24, 2016); involving a motion to remand a case removed to federal court
- Andreyko v. Sunrise Senior Living, Inc., 993 F.Supp.2d 475 (D.N.J. 2014); first published case in New Jersey recognizing that unlike nursing home residents who may bring lawsuits seeking compensatory and punitive damages, plus attorney’s fees, for rights violations under New Jersey’s Nursing Home Responsibilities & Rights of Residents Act, specifically N.J.S.A. § 30:13-8, assisted living residents were held not to have the same statutory remedy available to them
- Defended nursing homes and long-term care facilities in suits involving death or serious injury of residents and in-state administrative investigations
- Defeated class certification of class of nursing home residents who sued nursing home for alleged substandard care related to inadequate staffing and wound care, and successfully defended the result on appeal