Jim has more than 35 years of experience handling a wide range of labor and employment matters. He focuses his practice on guiding employers in addressing employment benefit matters, defending employment discrimination claims, negotiating executive employment agreements, handling complex fraud and governance matters and high profile investigations for management, providing guidance to international companies on US employment laws, advising on benefit plan design, providing due diligence on mergers and acquisitions with respect to benefit, labor and employment matters, providing labor advice to employers with unions, and handling a wide range of matters before the NLRB and in state and federal court. He has also significant experience in labor litigation and has represented clients in matters involving grievances, arbitrations, unfair labor practices and collective bargaining. Jim also has three decades of experience in representing companies in the Pharma and Life Sciences Industry in a wide variety of labor and employment related matters, and related FDA matters.
Beyond traditional labor and employment matters, Jim defends federal and state False Claims Act cases and whistleblower actions under Sarbanes Oxley and regularly performs due diligence on corporate matters. He advises clients on complex benefit issues arising out of asset and stock sales, mergers and secondment transactions, as well as complex, multi-employer pension matters.
Jim is the United States representative for Transatlantic Law International, a global legal services provider to companies in more than 80 countries, through which he assists international clients on cross-border issues.
For more than three decades, Jim has regularly presented on numerous topics before a corporate counsel organizations throughout the United States. He has served on the New Jersey State Bar Association's executive committee since 2006, presenting numerous seminars to the State Bar on employment matters.
Prior to joining White and Williams, Jim was co-leader of the Labor and Employment group at LeClairRyan.
Recognition and Involvement
Recognition & Involvement
Since 2010, Jim has been recognized by The Best Lawyers in America© in the areas of Employment Law - Management and Labor Law - Management.
Jim was named a 2019–2020 “Labor & Employment Star - Northeast,” by Benchmark Litigation.
Bar and Court Admissions
New York Law School, JD, cum laude, 1984
Rutgers College, BS, 1981
News & Insights
- 3.7.22 | Labor and Employment Alert
- 1.25.22 | Webinar
- Five Things Employers Must Know About Their Workplaces, the Raging Covid-19 Pandemic and OSHA’s Emergency Rule Status12.20.21 | The Employment Law Counselor
- 11.18.21 | Webinar
- 9.29.21 | Webinar
- 5.7.21 | The Employment Counselor
- 5.7.21 | CIANJ Virtual Event
- 4.21.21 | Webinar
- 3.10.21 | Webinar
- 1.28.21 | CIANJ Webinar
- 1.13.21 | Webinar
- 1.8.21 | Labor and Employment Alert
- 12.21.20 | Labor and Employment Alert
- US Supreme Court’s Oral Argument in California v. Texas: Reports of the Affordable Care Act’s Demise May be Greatly Exaggerated12.14.20 | Healthcare Alert
- 12.10.20 | Labor and Employment Alert
- 12.1.20 | Labor and Employment Alert
- 11.5.20 | Healthcare Alert
- 9.9.20 | CIANJ Virtual Event
- 9.3.20 | Tax and Estates Alert
- 8.31.20 | Labor and Employment Alert
- 8.11.20 | Webinar
- 7.6.20 | Labor and Employment Alert
- 6.12.20 | NJ State Bar Association (Webinar)
- 5.14.20 | Labor and Employment Alert
- 5.11.20 | Litigation Alert
- 4.9.20 | Webinar
- 3.24.20 | Webinar
- 3.20.20 | Labor and Employment Alert
- 11.12.19 | Commerce and Industry Association of New Jersey (Rutherford, NJ)
- 7.16.19 | New Jersey Institute for Continuing Legal Education (New Brunswick, NJ)
- 6.14.19 | New Jersey Institute for Continuing Legal Education (New Brunswick, NJ)
- New Amendment to NJ Law Against Discrimination Renders Common Employment Agreement Provisions Unenforceable3.21.19 | Labor and Employment Alert
New Jersey State Bar Association