Carol is an experienced litigator who represents clients in a variety of civil cases, including commercial litigation, securities and consumer class actions, breach of contract cases, and employment discrimination claims. A large part of her practice has been devoted to representing investors in shareholder derivative suits and corporate governance matters.
She has successfully litigated a wide variety of corporate governance actions to vindicate the rights of investors and shareholders to nominate and elect directors of their choosing, obtain material information about matters on which they are being asked to vote, and receive fair value for their investment securities. Carol has been appointed lead or co-lead counsel in representative and class actions on behalf of shareholders and consumers in both state and federal court.
Recognition and Involvement
Recognition & Involvement
Carol has been recognized by “Law Dragon” within the group of 500 Leading Financial Lawyers, representing plaintiffs. She has also been involved as a volunteer mentor for younger lawyers, including though the Lawyering Across Borders externship program at St. John’s University School of Law. She also volunteers her time to support the activities of the Columbia Alumni Association. While at Columbia, she was also a Notes and Comments Editor for the Columbia Law Review.
Bar and Court Admissions
- Columbia University School of Law, JD, James Kent Scholar,1992
- Columbia College, Columbia University, summa cum laude, BA, 1992
News & Insights
- E-Discovery: What New Attorneys Need to Know (2020, 2021, 2022)
Member, New York State Bar Association
Member, New York City Bar Association
Member, Judiciary Committee of New York City Bar Association
Member, Commercial and Federal Litigation Section of New York State Bar Association
- Obtained a $10.5 million settlement on behalf of class of voting shareholders in settlement of claims for damages suffered as a result of a REIT spinoff by network communications company
- Litigated expedited action for breach of charter on behalf of class of preferred limited partners in midstream oil and gas company to challenge exchange ratio in recapitalization transaction and ultimately obtained an additional 10% of the company’s equity (valued at $60+ million) for the class
- Obtained injunctive relief for activist hedge fund for inequitable application of advance notice bylaws
- Obtained expedited injunctive relief to enforce corporation’s bylaws to permit hedge fund to nominate directors at annual meeting, which was affirmed on appeal by the Delaware Supreme Court
- Successfully litigated consumer class action to remedy blackout of cable programming and achieved a settlement valued at $25+ million