Stuart J. Wells Counsel
vCardPrint to PDF
Stuart J. Wells has more than 20 years of experience litigating complex matters for clients in federal and state courts throughout the United States. A tenacious litigator and zealous advocate, Stuart has conducted hundreds of depositions, conducted trials and evidentiary hearings, argued appeals and motions in lower courts and successfully obtained settlements for clients in a wide array of matters. Initially an insurance coverage attorney for a large New Jersey based firm, Stuart’s practice has expanded over the years to include representing corporations, individuals and financial institutions in connection with the prosecution and defense of UCC disputes, loan workouts, collateral foreclosures, breaches of contract, fraud and other business torts. He also has extensive experience representing secured lenders and other creditors in bankruptcy proceedings.
During law school, Stuart was an associate editor of the Rutgers Computer and Technology Law Journal and a member of the school’s international moot court team. Prior to joining White and Williams, Stuart was a senior associate at a boutique firm in New York City that specialized in representing commercial banks and other financial institutions.
- Represented acquiring company in $8 billion hostile takeover bid in mining industry and successfully defeated target’s efforts to enjoin bid
- Represented Fortune 20 insurance company in connection with SEC and DOJ investigation of company’s finite reinsurance and broker commission programs that resulted in successful settlement without charges being filed against the company
- Represented large commercial bank in connection with internal investigation and resulting ligation stemming from customer’s $50 million leasing fraud
- Represented real estate management company in prosecution of fraud claims that resulted in the arrest of a former officer and others on charges of bank and wire fraud
- Represented large financial institutions and commercial banks in contested bankruptcy proceedings and adversary proceedings involving retail, energy and manufacturing industries
Bar and Court Admissions
U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey
U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York
U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
Rutgers University School of Law - Newark, JD, 1995
University of Pennsylvania, BA, 1992