- WebinarMarch 24, 2020
Sandra L. Niemotka Partner
Cherry Hill, NJ
vCardPrint to PDF
Sandra Niemotka has focused her practice on workers' compensation defense in Pennsylvania and New Jersey since 1992.
Sandy is known for aggressively defending Pennsylvania and New Jersey cases in workers' compensation litigation. She has particular experience and knowledge of claims that can be brought in both states, known as “concurrent jurisdiction”. She also has particular knowledge and experience in hearing loss claims, opioid abuse, medical marijuana and in finding offsets against workers’ compensation benefits so that benefits can be reduced. She counsels clients such as insurance companies, media, manufacturers, warehouses, school districts and restaurants on a regular basis in response to the day-to-day issues that concern workers' compensation. She is a member of the Claims and Litigation Management Alliance and has also contributed articles and been an invited speaker of other industry organizations such as the Pennsylvania Defense Institute and the Philadelphia Insurance Society.
Sandy has tremendous empathy for employers who are faced with workers’ compensation system abusers. She enthusiastically presents the best possible defense in litigating her cases, turning over every stone and finding creative ways to push back against questionable claims, whether in litigation or not.
- Obtained a Judge’s decision that stopped the employer’s liability for a former nurse’s excessive use of opioid patches and lozenges
Obtained a dismissal against a coal miner’s scar claims, with unique statute of limitations issues, up to the Pennsylvania Supreme Court level
Obtained a Judge’s decision denying that a camera operator’s neck surgery was work related, despite the alleged whiplash from his car accident
- Obtained a Judge’s decision that denied a Claim against an electronics manufacturer when an inspector alleged his low back surgery was work related, but the defense established the injury leading to the surgery had resulted from a sneeze at home
- Obtained a Judge’s decision that denied a Claim against a truck manufacturer when an assembly worker alleged there was work-related ringing in his ears (“tinnitus”), and the defense successfully argued it was not a compensable “injury” as the law defines it
- Obtained a Judge’s decision that denied a Claim against a nursing facility when a CNA injured her wrist, but the defense established her loss of earnings was due to a positive drug screening, and not her injury
- Obtained a Judge’s decision that denied a Claim against a quarry when a heavy equipment operator alleged back and knee injuries from a fall, but the defense established his loss of earnings was due to his failure to return to modified duty, and not his injuries
Recognition & Involvement
In 2005, Sandy was named in a survey of her peers as a Pennsylvania "Rising Star" attorney by Super Lawyers. The Super Lawyers list is issued by Thomson Reuters. A description of the selection methodology can be found at www.superlawyers.com/about/selection_process_detail.html. No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey.
Sandy is member of the American Legion Ladies Auxiliary, Oaklyn-Bettlewood Post 84, previously serving as Sergeant at Arms for several years.
- WebinarMarch 24, 2020
- PBI WebinarMarch 2020
- Philadelphia, PAMay 18, 2016
- Brookside Country Club, Macungie, PASeptember 24, 2015
- Workers' Compensation AlertMarch 20, 2020
- Workers' Compensation AlertMarch 19, 2020
- Workers' Compensation AlertJanuary 28, 2020
- Workers' Compensation AlertJanuary 9, 2020
- Workers' Compensation AlertJanuary 28, 2019
- Workers' Compensation AlertJuly 24, 2018
- Workers' Compensation AlertFebruary 21, 2018
- Workers' Compensation AlertJanuary 30, 2017
- Workers' Compensation AlertApril 18, 2016
- Pennsylvania Supreme Court to Review Constitutionality of Using 6th Edition of the AMA Guides in IREsWorkers' Compensation AlertMarch 24, 2016
- Workers' Compensation AlertJanuary 20, 2016
- Workers' Compensation AlertOctober 14, 2015
Bar and Court Admissions
U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey
U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
Rutgers School of Law – Camden, JD, 1991
Rutgers College, BA, cum laude, 1988
New Jersey Bar Association; Workers' Compensation Section
Pennsylvania Bar Association; Workers' Compensation Section
Philadelphia Bar Association; Workers' Compensation Section