Phyllis A. Ingram Associate
New York, NY
vCardPrint to PDF
Phyllis Ingram has been practicing law for more than 25 years and concentrates her practice on the representation of clients in the areas of management and professional liability insurance coverage and defense, municipal defense litigation, including federal Section 1983 and municipal liability litigation, Title VII and employment related litigation, negligence law and other insurance related matters.
Phyllis regularly represents and counsels insurance, corporate, and municipal clients on a variety of legal matters including insurance coverage and professional liability matters, adversary proceedings and liability issues. Phyllis has argued numerous appeals in New York’s appellate courts and has also successfully argued in the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit. Prior to joining White and Williams, Phyllis worked with several law firms in Rockland and Orange Counties, and in New York City. She was twice elected as Village Justice for the Village of Upper Nyack and was also appointed Acting Village Justice.
- Representation of a D&O insurer in connection with coverage issues arising in connection with the defense and settlement of an SEC investigation involving principals of a private equity firm
- Representation of a D&O insurer in coverage litigation arising from the bankruptcy of a large, publicly-traded company
- Representation of a not-for-profit client in connection with the defense of False Claims Act litigation that resulted in the settlement of the claims negotiated with the offices of the New York State Attorney General and the United States Attorney General and the settlement with private counsel of the individual relators’ claims of retaliation
- Representation of a municipality in the defense of a federal Section 1983 wrongful conviction deprivation of rights action which included extensive motion practice and resulted in a settlement before trial
- Representation of a municipal client in a declaratory judgment action seeking coverage for wrongful acts alleged in the federal Section 1983 wrongful conviction action including preparation of appellate briefs
- Representation of a municipality in a declaratory judgment action seeking defense for its volunteer employees for asserted wrongful employment related acts in a federal civil rights action with the successful stay of discovery of the underlying action pending a determination of the coverage question
- Representation of a corporation in the defense of Title VII litigation brought by the EEOC and multiple intervenor plaintiffs with the successful preclusion of joinder of additional plaintiffs and settlement of all claims
- Representation of municipality in the defense of a federal Section 1983 action involving a deprivation of rights claim with summary judgment granted in favor of the municipality. Successfully drafted appellate briefs and conducted oral argument at the Second Circuit with an affirmance of the lower court’s summary judgment decision
- Representation of a private client in an action to vacate a several hundred thousand dollar judgment wrongfully entered against him with the successful reversal of its entry on appeal from the Appellate Division Second Department
- Representation of a municipality in the defense of a negligence action brought by a paraplegic injured in a motor vehicle accident with summary judgment awarded to the municipality and affirmed on appeal by the Second Department
Recognition & Involvement
Phyllis is a board member of the Stacey Sennas McGowan Foundation, Inc. a 501(c)(3) charitable organization established following the attacks on the World Trade Center on September 11, 2001, which supports Nyack High School female scholar lacrosse athletes and other community causes in Stacey’s honor.
Phyllis is an active member of her community and has lent her support to many educational and community-related causes while she has practiced law and raised her three daughters.
Bar and Court Admissions
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York
U.S. District Court for the Northern District of New York
U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
Pace University School of Law, JD, 1989
Long Island University, M Ed, 2009
Skidmore College, BA with Honors, 1982
New York State Bar Association