Cases & Deals
David S. Haase Partner
vCardPrint to PDF
David Haase is a trial lawyer with extensive trial experience in the areas of product liability, warranty litigation, Lemon Law, toxic tort and environmental litigation, complex commercial transactions and high exposure personal injury lawsuits. His clients include Subaru of America, Hyundai Motor America, Kia Motors America, Inc., and Monsanto.
David pioneered the use of litigation strategy seminars for his automobile manufacturer clients and he has lectured across the country on his proactive approach to defending warranty and Lemon Law claims. One of his clients adopted his litigation training program and rolled it out nationally to all of its service personnel.
David is the firm's Hiring Partner, a position he has held since 2005. He oversees the Summer Associate Program and all related recruiting efforts. He is a charter member of the firm's Diversity Committee and in his capacity as Hiring Partner, he proudly supports the Philadelphia Diversity Law Group (PDLG). David frequently lectures at Philadelphia-area law schools and PDLG seminars regarding hiring practices. He also chairs Civil Arbitration Panels in the Philadelphia Court of Common Pleas.
Paich v. Hyundai Motor America (2016, Allegheny County, PA) – Jury trial. Product liability and Lemon Law defense. Plaintiff alleged a powertrain defect. Following a week-long trial, including numerous fact and expert witnesses, the Allegheny County jury returned a full defense verdict in favor of Hyundai. The court ordered plaintiff to reimburse Hyundai for a portion of its trial costs.
- Dublin, et al. v. Monsanto (2015, St. Louis County, MO) - Jury trial. Product liability defense. Plaintiffs alleged that the polychlorinated biphenyl (PCB) product manufactured by Monsanto caused their cancer. The jury returned a defense verdict in favor of Monsanto.
- Douglas Edwards v. Hyundai Motor America (2015, Philadelphia County, PA, Court of Common Pleas) - Product liability defense. Motion for Summary Judgment granted. This case had potentially broad implications for the automotive industry. Plaintiff’s counsel asserted a novel statutory claim that would have created a large new class of lawsuits against automotive manufacturers. Prepared and filed a Motion for Summary Judgment that was vigorously opposed by plaintiff and ultimately granted by Judge Dubow of the Philadelphia Court of Common Pleas.
- Jacqueline Smith, et al, v. Monsanto (2014, California Superior Court, Los Angeles County) - Jury trial. Product liability defense. Plaintiffs alleged that the polychlorinated biphenyl (PCB) product manufactured by Monsanto caused their cancer. The jury returned a defense verdict in favor of Monsanto.
- Joshua Wert v. Subaru of America, Inc. (2013, Philadelphia County, PA, Court of Common Pleas) - Bench trial. Product liability and Lemon Law defense. Defense verdict in favor of Subaru.
- Leonetti's Frozen Foods, Inc. v. Maglio Fresh Food d/b/a Maglio's Sausage Company (2012, Philadelphia County, PA, Court of Common Pleas, Commerce Court) - After a two-week trial, a 12-person jury found that Maglio Sausage Company unfairly competed against Leonetti's Frozen Foods, Inc. with respect to the distribution and sale of frozen stromboli. Jury awarded $2 million in compensatory damages and $555,000 in punitive damages to the plaintiff client.
Confidential ADR Jury Trial. This was a novel product liability lawsuit because both parties agreed to move the lawsuit from state court into ADR so it could be litigated in a confidential jury trial closed to the public. The jury was recruited from the county where the lawsuit was originally venued and a respected retired judge presided. The specific result is confidential, but the jury returned a very favorable verdict in favor of our client.
- Sharon Matson v. Hyundai Motor America (2012, Superior Court of New Jersey, Burlington County) - Jury trial. Product liability and Lemon Law defense. Defense verdict in favor of Hyundai.
- Kathleen Ricciardi v. Subaru of America (2011, Superior Court of New Jersey, Camden County) - Jury trial. Product liability and Lemon Law defense. Defense verdict in favor of Subaru.
- Rhonda Hidock v. Hyundai Motor America (2011, Luzerne County, PA, Court of Common Pleas) - Bench trial. Product liability and Lemon Law defense. Defense verdict in favor of Hyundai.
Recognition & Involvement
From 2005 to 2008, David was selected in a survey of his peers as a Pennsylvania "Rising Star" lawyer by Super Lawyers. Since 2010, he has also been selected each year (2010 - 2019) in a survey of his peers as a Pennsylvania "Super Lawyer" by Super Lawyers.
Outside the office, David enjoys soccer, cycling and competing in triathlons. He was Captain of a nationally-ranked soccer team at Amherst College under Peter J. Gooding, a member of the NSCAA Hall of Fame. He has coached a premier-level travel soccer team since 2007 and he has served on the Board of Directors of the Philadelphia Area Girls Soccer League since 2010.
- May 16, 2019
- November 11, 2017
- May 5, 2017
- October 18, 2016
- October 21, 2015
- October 22, 2014
- December 16, 2011
- May 25, 2011
Cases & Deals
- December 8, 2017
- April 13, 2017
- October 5, 2011