- October 24, 2019
- Reinsurance AlertAugust 20, 2019
Daryn E. Rush Partner
vCardPrint to PDF
Daryn Rush has been counseling the insurance industry for more than twenty years. With an in-depth understanding of the business of insurance, Daryn takes a proactive and integrative approach to addressing client needs and concerns. He helps clients develop and implement strategies to improve relationships with trading partners and to avoid disputes. When disputes arise, Daryn calls upon his extensive arbitration and litigation experience and his sharpened advocacy skills to vigorously represent his clients. A student of the insurance business, he keeps a close watch on industry trends and developments and regularly speaks and writes about topics important to the industry. Above all, Daryn focuses on maintaining a long-term, trusted relationship with his clients.
Daryn has extensive experience representing domestic and foreign insurers and reinsurers in arbitration, mediation and litigation. He has tried dozens of reinsurance arbitrations and lawsuits to final award or verdict. From a dispute involving professional sports disability business to a property claim arising out of the collapse of a Peruvian mine to numerous disputes involving asbestos, pollution and other long-tail claims, Daryn has substantial experience with matters involving all lines of property and casualty and life, health and accident business.
Daryn possesses considerable knowledge and experience with insurance receiverships. He has represented insurers, reinsurers, managing general agents, policyholders and other interested parties in connection with domestic and foreign insolvencies and Schemes of Arrangement, including the Reliance, Legion, Transit, Home, Highlands and First Sealord receiverships. In his representation of clients in negotiations and in formal disputes, he has addressed issues such as setoff and recoupment, cut-throughs, priority of claims, preference, reinsurers’ right to interpose defenses, arbitration rights, commutations and guaranty fund coverage. He has also counseled clients in pursuing recoveries from insolvent estates in the U.S. and abroad.
Daryn has also advised companies in transactional matters, including assumption reinsurance and alternative risk transfer transactions, and advised clients regarding product development and regulatory issues. He has counseled clients in connection with policy and reinsurance contract drafting issues and performed claim audits.
In 1997, Daryn served as in-house counsel in the Reinsurance Legal Unit of the CIGNA Companies while on loan from White and Williams.
He has authored a number of articles and seminar case studies on insurance and reinsurance-related issues and has been a speaker at various conferences and seminars sponsored by ARIAS-U.S., AIRROC, Mealey's, the American Conference Institute, and the Pennsylvania Bar Institute. Daryn has also presented at the firm’s annual Coverage College.
- Represented foreign reinsurers in arbitration involving premium adjustment dispute under medical malpractice reinsurance contract
- Represented ceding companies in litigation and arbitration involving Bellefonte issues.
- Represented Australian-based insurer in connection with reconstruction of historic reinsurance programs and reporting, billing and collection of substantial recoveries arising out of asbestos-related losses
- Represented MGA in connection with multiple lawsuits and arbitrations arising out of operation of reinsurance pools
- Represented foreign reinsurer in litigation with former subsidiary with respect to intercompany fronting arrangement
- Represented life insurance company in arbitration involving very large (900,000+ policies) closed book of variable life business
- Represented life reinsurance company in connection with workers compensation carve out arbitration
- Represented South American reinsurer with respect to claims arising out of collapse of Peruvian mine
- Represented ceding companies in arbitrations and mediations with captive reinsurers
- Represented foreign reinsurer seeking rescission with respect to participation in U.S. contractors program
- Represented ceding company in arbitration involving professional sports disability business
- Represented ceding companies and reinsurers in numerous arbitrations involving allocation, aggregation and number of occurrences issues relating to asbestos, pollution and other long tail losses
Recognition & Involvement
From 2008-2019, Daryn has been named in a survey of his peers as a Pennsylvania Super Lawyer in the field of Insurance Coverage, and a Pennsylvania Rising Star from 2005-2007, both by Super Lawyers.
As part of the firm’s pro bono efforts, Daryn volunteers at clinics held by the Senior Law Center, assisting seniors in the preparation of wills and powers of attorney. In June of 2016, Daryn was elected to the board of The Public Interest Law Center. He has also served as a judge for the Keedy Cup moot court competition at the University of Pennsylvania.
Outside of his law practice, Daryn serves as a mentor in the Philadelphia Futures Sponsor-a-Scholar program.
- May 16, 2019
- October 23, 2018
- October 18, 2018
- November 11, 2017
- October 18, 2016
- September 22, 2016
- July 21, 2016
- October 21, 2015
- October 8, 2015
- October 22, 2014
- October 3, 2014
- February 1, 2013
- October 24, 2019
- To Give Privileged Communications to Your Reinsurers or Not? That is the Question12th Annual Coverage CollegeOctober 4, 2018
- ARIAS Fall Conference (New York, NY)November 1, 2017
- The Run-Off End Game: Is Finality Possible?White and Williams Coverage CollegeOctober 26, 2017
- It's Not Over 'Til It's Over: A Review of Post Arbitration RemediesWhite and Williams Coverage CollegeSeptember 22, 2016
- New York, NYSeptember 20, 2016
- Facultative Reinsurance IssuesWhite and Williams Coverage CollegeOctober 8, 2015
- AIRROC Winter Workship (Princeton, NJ)April 17, 2015
- Inside A Reinsurance ArbitrationWhite and Williams Coverage CollegeOctober 2, 2014
- Philadelphia, PASeptember 23, 2014
- Reinsurance Boot Camp Part II: Allocation and Follow-the-Fortunes/Follow-the-Settlements – Is the Industry Any Clearer Today on Post-Settlement Allocations?American Conference Institute's National Forum on Reinsurance Regulation (New York, NY)July 30, 2014
- Everything You Wanted (Or Didn't Want) To Know About Insurance InsolvencyWhite and Williams Coverage CollegeOctober 3, 2013
- Emerging Trends in Reinsurance ArbitrationCLE Teleconference sponsored by HB LitigationJanuary 12, 2012
- Reinsurance AlertAugust 20, 2019
- JD Supra Corporate Law ReportMarch 25, 2019
- Sports Law360June 20, 2018
- Second Circuit Adopts Heightened Standard for Distinguishing Evident Partiality of Party-Appointed ArbitratorReinsurance AlertJune 13, 2018
- The Legal IntelligencerMay 3, 2018
- Reinsurance AlertDecember 14, 2017
- The Legal IntelligencerJanuary 17, 2017
- Reinsurance AlertDecember 9, 2016
- Reinsurance AlertNovember 4, 2016
- ARIAS QuarterlyJuly 1, 2015
- The Legal IntelligencerJanuary 20, 2015
- Reinsurance AlertMay 28, 2013
- Leveling the E-Discovery Playing Field: Court Shifts Costs to Putative Class Action Plaintiffs Prior to Class CertificationGibbons Law E-Discovery Law AlertSeptember 19, 2012
- AIRROC MattersSummer 2012
Bar and Court Admissions
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
Georgetown University Law Center, JD, 1993
- Member, American Criminal Law Review
University of Maryland, BA, magna cum laude, 1990
- Chancellor and Dean’s Scholar
Pennsylvania Bar Association
The Academy of Advocacy (the Litvin Course), Fellow, Summer 1999