- November 10, 2020
- Miami, FLApril 23, 2018
Dana Spring Monzo Counsel
vCardPrint to PDF
Dana Spring Monzo is an experienced litigator whose practice is focused on complex civil litigation in the areas of medical malpractice (including 42 U.S.C. §1983 claims arising from the provision of medical care), professional negligence, personal injury, and premises liability. For more than a decade, Dana has represented the interests of physicians, hospitals, healthcare providers, state-licensed professionals, and motorsport entities in Delaware. She works closely with her clients to provide counseling, guidance, and representation from pre-suit claims through the resolution of a matter. On behalf of her clients, Dana frequently appears before the Superior Court of Delaware and the United States District Court for the District of Delaware and also has experience briefing and arguing appellate issues before the Supreme Court of Delaware. Dana also has experience in the defense of licensed professionals in complaints brought by the Delaware Division of Professional Regulation and has great success resolving board inquiries before a complaint is ever filed.
Dana is known for her practical approach to litigation and is able provide innovative solutions that incorporate the needs of both her clients and their insurers. As a native Delawarean, Dana understands the concerns of litigation in a small community and the importance of discretion and preserving relationships.
While attending law school, Dana served as a judicial extern for the United States Magistrate for the District of Delaware, Mary Pat Thynge.
- Defense of physicians, hospitals, medical providers, and healthcare facilities in medical negligence cases involving acute care, family medicine, hospital care, nursing, obstetrics/gynecology, radiology, surgery (general and plastic), and urology
- Defense of physicians, medical providers, and healthcare facilities in constitutional law cases arising from the provision of medical care involving internal medicine and hospitalist care
- Representation of physicians as non-party deponents and fact witnesses in cases ranging from medical malpractice to products liability to nursing home care
- Representation of physicians, physician assistants, nurse practitioners, and speech therapists in connection with Division of Professional Regulation inquiries and complaints
- Successful voluntary dismissal of urgent care center after locating key evidence that exonerated client from liability
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of primary care physician (affirmed by the Delaware Supreme Court) accused of failure to prevent his patient's suicide
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of primary care physician (affirmed by the Delaware Supreme Court) accused of failure to follow up on treatment provided by consulting physician
- Successfully defended a waiver of client’s own negligence as compliant with Delaware law
Recognition & Involvement
Dana is an active volunteer member of the Board of Trustees of the Christ Church Episcopal Preschool. She further served the school as the Parent Association President for the 2016-2017 school year and Gala Co-Chair for 2014 and 2015 Spring Galas (which raise in excess of $30,000 each year for school). She currently serves as chair of the Sunshine Committee.
Dana is a volunteer for the Padua High School legal shadowing program, offering high school students an opportunity to experience a day in the law. Dana also volunteers on the planning committee for the Delaware Nature Society Farm to Fork Fundraiser.
She has also been recognized as a "Top Lawyer in the State" by Delaware Today Magazine.
- Miami, FLApril 23, 2018
- “The Devil Is in the Details”: Delaware Supreme Court Affirms Decision Demanding Strict Compliance for Notices of Intent to Investigate Medical Negligence Claims to Toll Statute of LimitationsHealthcare AlertJuly 17, 2020
- Healthcare AlertApril 13, 2015
Bar and Court Admissions
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
U.S. District Court for the District of Delaware
U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
Villanova University School of Law, JD, 2004
University of Delaware, BS, cum laude, 2001
Delaware State Bar Association
Defense Counsel of Delaware