Cases & Deals
Christopher M. DiMuro Partner
vCardPrint to PDF
Christopher DiMuro is a litigator who focuses his practice on the defense of complex litigation matters. Chris' practice includes product liability, mass toxic tort, consumer fraud, class actions, employment matters and commercial litigation. Chris represents large chemical, medical device, health care and consumer products companies.
Chris has served as regional and national coordinating counsel and de facto general counsel for several companies in connection with recurring tort and product liability claims. He has also been responsible for providing comprehensive litigation counseling to clients engaged in a variety of commercial disputes and employment matters involving breach of non-competes and non-disclosure agreements, and has significant experience in conducting corporate investigations, compliance audits and responses to government subpoenas in health care qui tam fraud cases.
Since 2007, Chris has served as lead science counsel in representing the City of New York and its contractors in connection with the defense of more than 10,000 personal injury cases brought by individuals who participated in the rescue, recovery and debris removal operations in the aftermath of the 9/11 WTC terrorist attacks. In this capacity, Chris was responsible for preparing the medical causation case for all of the trial plaintiffs, and for coordinating the scores of medical and scientific consultants and testifying experts. Chris also played an integral part in the complex negotiations that lead to the historic settlement of over 10,000 WTC cases in 2010-2011.
Chris served as a Guest Lecturer at Boston University School of Law in November 2013, lecturing on the Defense perspectives on liability, causation and damages in the WTC mass tort litigation.
- Casale v. RAdata, et al. (Superior Court of New Jersey, Warren County, Law Division 2013) -- obtained summary judgment dismissing all class claims seeking repair and replacement costs of allegedly defective radon mitigation systems located a condominium complex in Lopatcong, New Jersey
- Ben Haim v. Konrad Adenauer Stiftung (D.N.J. 2012-2013) on motion obtained dismissal of all claims asserted against a foreign sovereign entity under the Alien Tort Claims Act and Torture Victims Protection Act which was subsequently affirmed on appeal by the Third Circuit
- In re World Trade Center Disaster Litigation (S.D.N.Y. 2004-present) – Responsible for developing and coordinating science/medical causation defense on behalf of the City of New York and its contractors in connection with over 10,000 personal injury claims brought by individuals who participated in the rescue, recovery and debris removal activities in the aftermath of the 9/11 WTC terrorist attack
- Horning, et al. v. City of New York, Mayor Bloomberg, et al. (S.D.N.Y. 2009) – Obtained summary judgment dismissing negligence and property rights claims brought on behalf of the next-of-kin of certain individuals killed in the 9/11 WTC terrorist attacks which was subsequently affirmed by the second Circuit; petition for certiorari denied by the United States Supreme Court
- Buynie, et al. v. Shintech Inc. (Superior Court of New Jersey 2007) – Defeated class certification motion brought on behalf of plaintiffs alleging industry-wide fraud and conspiracy claims against vinyl chloride manufacturers
- PMC Canada, Inc. v. Shintech Inc. (D.N.J. 2006) – Obtained summary judgment dismissing breach of contract claims relating to purchase and sale of bulk vinyl chloride monomer
- Domenick v. Shintech Inc. (Superior Court of New Jersey 2004) – Obtained with prejudice dismissal of personal injury claims arising from alleged vinyl chloride exposure
- United States Department of Justice v. HCA (1999-2003) – Conducted internal investigation and represented HCA in defense of healthcare fraud and kickback claims brought by the government and certain qui tam plaintiffs across the country
- Maertin v. Armstrong World Industries v. Monsanto Co., et al. (D.N.J. 2000) – Obtained partial summary judgment dismissing fear of cancer and medical monitoring claims brought in a multiplaintiff toxic tort action involving alleged PCB exposure; also obtained a significant award of monetary sanctions against Armstrong and its counsel for discovery abuses involving expert witnesses
- JCPL v. General Electric Co. (D.N.J. 1995) – Obtained summary judgment in substantial property damage product liability matter involving allegedly defective electric turbines
- Haydt v. General Electric Co., et al. (D.N.J. 1994) – Obtained summary judgment in substantial personal injury product liability matter which was subsequently affirmed by Third Circuit
- Witco v. Monsanto Co. (N.J. Superior Court 1993) – Obtained partial summary judgment dismissing claims for contribution and contractual indemnity in connection with environmental contamination (PCBs) of commercial property and Perth Amboy sewer system
- Alcoa v. Monsanto Co. (D.N.J. 1993) – Obtained summary judgment in substantial property damage case involving environmental contamination (PCBs) of commercial property which was subsequently affirmed by Third Circuit
Recognition & Involvement
Chris has been selected in a survey of his peers as a New Jersey "Super Lawyer" in 2007, 2009 and 2011.
Chris is the Vice Chair of the District X Fee Arbitration Committee for Morris and Sussex Counties.
Cases & Deals
Bar and Court Admissions
District of Columbia
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
U.S. District Courts for the Central District of California
U.S. District Courts for the Southern District of California
U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia
U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey
U.S. District Courts for the Eastern District of New York
U.S. District Courts for the Southern District of New York
Boston University School of Law, JD, 1988
Rutgers University, BA, 1985
Member, Appointment by the Supreme Court of New Jersey, Office of Attorney Ethics to District X Fee Arbitration Committee for 2012 – 2016 Term
The Association of the Federal Bar of New Jersey
New York Bar Association
District of Columbia Bar Association
California Bar Association
New Jersey Bar Association
Board of Trustees, New Jersey DARE (Drug and Alcohol Resistance Education)
Board of Trustees, Alpha Rho Alumni Association
Former Trustee, Morris County Bar Foundation