- January 24, 2018
Kate Woods Counsel
vCardPrint to PDF
Kate Woods has more than 15 years of experience building, rebuilding and enhancing compliance programs for small, mid-size, publicly traded, not-for-profit and for profit healthcare companies, positioning them for sale, growth and sustainability. She provides strategic counsel to help companies navigate complex federal and state regulations, offering real-time regulatory guidance in a rapidly evolving healthcare regulatory environment.
Kate advises healthcare providers, regulated health plans and pharmacies on regulatory issues related to their industry and business model needs, including licensure, delegated and related entity oversight, controlled substances, and mental health parity issues. Additionally, she advises healthcare companies on Corporate Integrity Agreements and other settlement matters and concerns both pre and post effectuation.
Throughout her career, Kate has built relationships with regulatory agencies, including DEA, CMS and Boards of Pharmacy, which help her advocate on behalf of clients. She collaborates with business partners to help them achieve objectives and works with internal tech teams to develop and implement compliance programs with proper control environments and trend analysis capabilities. Kate also has developed legal-compliance training programs for employees and industry stakeholders.
Prior to joining White and Williams, Kate was the Corporate and Compliance Officer for Capital BlueCross where she was responsible for the oversight and management of regulatory compliance with applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations including the Affordable Care Act. She was also responsible for the development and oversight of monitoring and compliance dashboards, oversight of the core corporate compliance program based on federal guidelines and industry standards for 2,000 employees, and Governance Board reporting.
Kate was previously Chief Compliance Officer for Enclara Pharmacia, LLC and Senior Vice President of Compliance for excelleRx, Inc., a wholly-owned subsidiary of Omnicare, Inc., where she led the compliance department through various stages of integration with its publicly traded parent company, and through two mergers and acquisitions.
Kate is a frequent speaker on health care topics at national and regional conferences, including the Health Care Compliance Association (HCCA), The National Hospice and Palliative Care Organization (NHPCO), and the American Public Health Association (APHA). She has created and developed health care compliance programs and education courses and has made numerous presentations on health care issues in Pennsylvania and New Jersey.
- Developed and implemented compliance programs, across business lines, for employees and stakeholders
- Worked with federal agencies and state boards of pharmacy to relicense four pharmacy sites in 49 states due to change of ownership
- Led advocacy efforts with state agencies to allow remote pharmacy services and automated dispensing systems in hospice inpatient units in several states, including Pennsylvania and Delaware
- Developed compliance risk assessment programs to identify and mitigate risks specific to commercial and regulated health plans
- Developed delegated entity oversight compliance monitoring programs to ensure subcontractor compliance
- Reviewed and negotiated vendor contracts to ensure compliance with regulatory requirements and business objectives
- Corporate Integrity Agreement and Settlement Agreements negotiations and compliance program implementation
Recognition & Involvement
Kate is an Executive Committee member of the Pennsylvania Governor’s Early Learning Investment Commission, a member of the Camden County Addiction Awareness Task Force and a board member of the Legal Clinic for the Disabled. She is also a member of the City of Philadelphia’s "A Running Start" advisory committee which works to provide quality pre-K opportunities to children in Philadelphia.
- January 24, 2018
- Cyber News: Cyber Law News and BytesAugust 23, 2018
- Healthcare TalksAugust 14, 2018
- Cyber News: Cyber Law News and BytesApril 9, 2018
- Taking Care of BusinessApril 5, 2018
- Recent Healthcare Fraud Suit Puts Private Equity Industry on Notice as to Potential Liability for Portfolio Company ConductHealthcare AlertMarch 15, 2018
- Healthcare AlertMarch 2, 2018
- SEC Updated Guidance on Cyber Disclosure by Publicly Traded Companies in a Digitally-Connected WorldCyber News: Cyber Law News and BytesFebruary 22, 2018
- Healthcare AlertFebruary 7, 2018
- Healthcare AlertJanuary 30, 2018
- Healthcare AlertJanuary 22, 2018
- Healthcare AlertJanuary 11, 2018
Bar and Court Admissions
Columbia University, Master of Public Health, 2011
Temple University Beasley School of Law, JD, 2005
Rosemont College, BA, magna cum laude, 2000
Healthcare Compliance Association