Cases & Deals
Michael E. DiFebbo Associate
vCardPrint to PDF
Michael DiFebbo represents major property and casualty insurance companies in coverage disputes. His practice focuses primarily on the resolution of coverage claims for long-tail liabilities including environmental cleanups, asbestos and mass tort liability, many of which involve tens or even hundreds of millions of dollars of disputed coverage.
During his 15 year law career, Michael has litigated issues including allocation of coverage among multiple triggered insurers, application of policy exclusions for asbestos and pollution related liabilities, applicability of aggregate limits of liability and defense of allegations of bad faith.
As national counsel for his clients, Michael has handled cases in courts across the country, including Pennsylvania, New Jersey, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Ohio and New Mexico.
Michael also has extensive experience in alternative dispute resolution proceedings and frequently counsels clients on how to achieve a cost-effective effective resolution of coverage disputes through the use of mediation or arbitration.
- Represented a major insurance company before the United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit in a case which affirmed the dismissal of a claim seeking unaggregated coverage for asbestos-related bodily injury claims
- Defended a major property and casualty insurer in a multi-party litigation involving insurance policies spanning three decades and seeking coverage for the investigation and remediation of environmental contamination at over 50 sites throughout the United States
- Represented a property and casualty insurance company in the trial of an insurance coverage action involving the liabilities of a waste-hauling company at multiple landfill sites
- Represented a group of property and casualty insurers in the litigation and resolution of asbestos and silica-related claims in an bankruptcy involving over $1.5 billion of disputed coverage
- Served as the principal draftsman for a coverage-in-place agreement resolving asbestos coverage claims by a policyholder against multiple insurers and one state guaranty association
- Represented an insurer in an appeal to the Pennsylvania Superior Court and obtained a reversal of a trial-court decision improperly granting coverage under a Real Estate Agents’ Brokers Errors and Omissions Liability Policy
Recognition & Involvement
In addition to coverage-related matters, Michael works with the Philadelphia Volunteer Lawyers for the Arts, providing pro bono counseling to artists, primarily on copyright-related issues. He has been AV® rated by the Martindale Hubbell peer review process.
Michael is an active musician. In his spare time, he is the guitarist and performance director for the Jump City Jazz Orchestra, a 17-piece jazz and swing big band which performs throughout the region. He has also performed on guitar, electric bass, upright bass, banjo and, on rare occasion, mandolin for professional, student and community theaters, including the Act II Playhouse, Arden Theatre Company, Bristol Riverside Theatre, 11th Hour Theatre Company, Media Theatre, Society Hill Playhouse, Theatre Horizon and Villanova University Theater.
Bar and Court Admissions
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey
U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Pennsylvania
U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio
Villanova University School of Law, JD, 1994
University of Delaware, BS, 1991
J. Willard O'Brien American Inn of Court