White and Williams was founded in 1899 by Thomas Raeburn White. A "lawyer's lawyer," universally respected by bench and bar alike, White carefully built a firm in his image with lawyers of rare accomplishment and uncompromising integrity.
Using those building blocks, the firm has developed and maintained a culture that places premium value on excellent service to our clients. For more than a century, our lawyers have delivered high-quality results by partnering with clients to deliver creative solutions to their most complex matters.
Many of our lawyers have risen to prominence as state and federal judges, served as President of the Pennsylvania Bar Association, Chancellors of the Philadelphia Bar Association and held leadership positions in many other legal associations and community organizations.
Our firm has continually strived to be at the forefront of doing what’s right, and being one step ahead. In the 1950s, we were instrumental in enforcing the desegregation of public schools in the south when W. Wilson White (Thomas Raeburn White's son) was called upon by President Eisenhower to author legal opinions supporting the extraordinary use of federal troops in Little Rock, Arkansas. In 1961, our firm became one of the first Philadelphia law firms to elect a woman, Virginia “Ginny” Barton Wallace, to the partnership. More recently, we have been committed to expanding and enriching the workplace through our diversity efforts.
As we look to the future, we never lose sight of our past. We will continue to look for new and innovative ways to serve our clients and our communities, and strive to provide excellent legal services time and time again.